Florida is a dreamland for many people. It is one of the most visited cities in the U.S. It is a popular destination and people around the world come to visit Florida. Here are some interesting facts about Florida that you probably didn’t know.
1. It is the flattest state in the U.S. It’s average elevation is only 100ft.; that is, 30 meters. Britton Hill is the top natural point in Florida. It has a summit elevation of only 345 feet or 105 meters above the sea level.
2. Florida has the longest coastline in the U.S. Officially, Florida’s General coastline is 1,350 miles, and it has a tidal shoreline at 8,426 miles.
3. It is known as the ‘lightning capital’ of the U.S. Every year 10 deaths, and 30 injuries occur in Florida due to lightning. Every year lightning hits every square mile of Central Florida 40 times.
4. Gatorade, a popular sports drink, was developed in Florida. It was invented by a team of scientists in 1965 and was named after the University of Florida Gators.
5. The oldest European settlement in North America is Saint Augustine city in Florida It was founded in 1565 by Pedro Menendez de Aviles. It was called La Florida.
Florida is an interesting place to visit. Apart from wonderful natural beauty and theme parks, it also has rich culture and history. There are so many interesting things we don’t know about Florida. You will enjoy your visit to Florida.